Re: [bharder%methodlogic.net@localhost: Re: The essential problems of moving from CVS]

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 08:48:43PM -0800, bharder wrote:

> Hi Thomas --  I think you were last one to work w/
> pkgsrc/devel/fossil, so: there are newer sources available at
> http://www.fossil-scm.org/download -- Could you update?
>
> Cheers,
>
> -bch
>
> ----- Forwarded message from bharder <bharder%methodlogic.net@localhost> -----
>
> To: tech-repository%netbsd.org@localhost
> Cc: "D. Richard Hipp" <drh%hwaci.com@localhost>, Frank Thieme
> <frank%fthieme.net@localhost>,
>       joerg%britannica.bec.de@localhost
> Subject: Re: The essential problems of moving from CVS
> From: bharder <bharder%methodlogic.net@localhost>
>
> On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 08:22:45PM +0100, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 01:59:35PM -0500, D. Richard Hipp wrote:
> > > I suppose my biggest concern with Fossil and NetBSD is how Fossil
> > > might scale.  We use Fossil on projects with a 1GB or larger
> > > check-out and with thousands and thousands of files.  But I didn't
> > > really design fossil for truly huge projects.  How big is NetBSD?
> >
> > Working copy of src is around 1.7GB with 267k files and 40k directories.
> > Working copy of pkgsrc is around 334MB with 99k files and 27k
> > directories.
> >
> > > How large is your CVS repository?
> >
> > A cvs2svn trace of src from a while ago ended up with round 240k revisions.
> > The src tree itself is 3.9GB. The pkgsrc tree on the other hand is
> > 913MB.
> >
> > > How many check-ins do you do per day?
> >
> > Typically a few dozen for each.
> >
> > > How many developers do you have?
> >
> > Maybe 20-30 developers with regular commits (e.g. typically at least one
> > commit per week).

Please note re: my comment about changing ./devel/fossil to
./devel/scmfossil Jeremy Reed did send a note to me:

jr> I think scmgit* was imported with wrong name.
jr> The cvs was renamed to scmcvs so it wouldn't conflict with CVS directory
jr> on case-insensitive filesystems.

so please disregard my previous name-change comment.

--

Brad Harder,
Method Logic Digital Consulting