pgsql start implies initdb = bad

Hello,

   Today I was told that having rc.d/init.d scripts run initdb as a part
of start (in case a database has not been initialized) is a seriously
bad idea. I figured it was merely a precaution to guard against a
theoretical problem.

   Interested parties should read this thread (it's actually really
interesting to see the detective work being done):
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2004-12/msg00479.php

   Apparently, there are at least two such examples, so it's not just a
theoretical problem.

   I suggest changing the pgsql rc.d script from:

[---]
pgsql_precmd()
{
        if [ ! -d ${pgsql_home}/data/base ]; then
                pgsql_initdb
        fi
}
[---]

   ... to ...

[---]
pgsql_precmd()
{
        if [ ! -d ${pgsql_home}/data/base ]; then
                echo "<A note about having to run dbinit first>"
                return
        fi
}
[---]

   I don't think requiring administrators to run "/etc/rc.d/pgsql
dbinit" (Or wherever it's kept) manually once after an install will ruin
anyones pkgsrc experience. But I'm certain that anyone running in to a
problem which stems from from dbinit being run implicitly from start
will come down with a serious case of unhappiness.

--
Kind regards,
Jan Danielsson