Re: Slackware Linux and pkgsrc

I used your guide to install Slackware and pkgsrc on two systems and I don't
think I would have been able to do it without it, so thanks!

Some advice I would add for updating pkgsrc packages: I've had good results
doing this by setting USE_DESTDIR=yes and setting
DEPENDS_TARGET=package-install and UPDATE_TARGET=package-install, then using
pkg_rolling-replace to update all the packages.  Using DESTDIR means that
pkgsrc will install to the .destdir directory in the package's work directory,
build a binary package, then use the binary package to install the package on
the filesystem proper.  This avoids the chicken-and-egg problem of updating
packages that are marked as not-for-deletion, i.e. packages that were built
through the bootstrapping process, since pkg_add won't complain about it if the
-u option is used, which is what package-install does for packages that are
being updated/replaced.

I'll have to upgrade my Slackware installation to 13.0, and get a different
system on which I can start anew and try out your scripts.  I remember how
tedious it was picking only the packages I needed in Slackware's installer, so
having your shell scripts to do the work for me would be a big help. :)
--
- Dave V.