firefox3{,.5} and external apps for various mime types

Hi,
   firefox 2 used to work out what external application to offer to
launch for a given mime type (eg openoffice for application/msword)
using the information in /usr/pkg/share/applications/ via a call to a
function in a dynamically loaded libgnomevfs-2.so (if it exists).

In firefox3 and firefox3.5 this doesn't happen.  As far as I can see
its now trying to do the same thing via D-Bus calls but I don't speak
D-Bus well enough to work out what its actually trying to do and see
why its failing.

So is this working for anyone?  Any clues on how to track this down?

cheers
mark