Re: devel/subversion: always needs apache.

On Mon, 06 Jul 2009, Greg Troxel wrote:
> From devel/subversion/DESCR:
>
>   This is a meta-package.  It installs no files, but it depends on all
>   the Subversion components, including the base pacakge with the
>   subversion client and server, the apache module, and four language
>   bindings.

I suggest adding something like "If all you want is the subversion
client, then install the subversion-base package, not the subversion
package."

> If you mean "the name devel/subversion is confusing, and really
> subversion-base should be called subversion and subversion should be
> called subversion-bindings", then you have a point, but IMHO the cost
> of change is more than the cost of confusion especially given that the
> DESCR files are accurate.  I did add a hint to devel/subversion/DESCR
> making this more obvious.

I do think that it's confusing for the "subversion" package to install
much more than the subversion software, but I don't have a good
suggestion for fixing that.

--apb (Alan Barrett)