multiple semi-conflicting readline libraries

I just upgraded the version of Postgresql that I have installed on one of
my machines.  Running pkg_add went fine, but it appears that the readline
dependency is wrong: it should depend on readline 6, but it actually depends
on >=5.0 (and the server package doesn't depend on readline at all, even though
  it actually needs it to run)
Fixing that would cause a clean machine to end up with the right package
 installed, but I have several other packages that are using libreadline.so.5
 and I'd prefer not to upgrade everything at once.

Theoretically, since those are different major versions, I could have both
 libreadline.so.5 and libreadline.so.6 installed, but pkg_add doesn't let me
 do that (at least a few files, like libreadline.a, that conflict).
Is there a good way to fix this?

eric