Gnome keyboard problem in NetBSD but not DragonflyBSD

I'm running NetBSD-current and pkgsrc-current on x86, and I see
the following problem in NetBSD only:

I start a gnome session running, which works perfectly as long as
I don't touch the keyboard.  The mouse works, the gnome menus work
I can launch programs -- until I type a character, any character,
at the keyboard.

At that point the gnome desktop freezes instantly and never comes
back.  I can still do ctrl-alt-backspace to kill X, and I can do
ctrl-alt-Fn to get a virtual terminal.

Using a virtual terminal I can see quite a few gnome processes in
the *stopped* [T] mode, but no zombies.

As I mentioned, I see this keyboard problem only on NetBSD, and
only with gnome.  KDE3, enlightenment, and the default xsession
with twm all work normally.

Anyone else seeing this problem?

Thanks!