Re: include BUILDLINK_API_DEPENDS in Makefile

> i am disorientated when i examine some makefile, which uses and includes
> the following directive "BUILDLINK_API_DEPENDS.pkg+= pkg>=version",
> compared with other package which does not use.
>
> for exemple:
>
> sysutils/gnome-system-monitor (use BUILDLINK_API_DEPENDS in Makfile) ,
> sysutils/gnome-device-manager ( not use BUILDLINK_API_DEPENDS ).
>
> 1- On which basis we add BUILDLINK_API_DEPENDS in Makefile ?

When the build requires a newer version of the dependency than most other
uses.

I see and fixed these issues often by doing this.

> 2- How we known that Makefile is correct (When we put the dependence
> which is appropriate)?

Sometimes the configure script will tell you. (Sometimes using pkgconfig
requirements.)

Sometimes it is only known from a failed build and then manual research.

> 3- Much option without mentioned in configure.{in,ac} for package, is it
> obliged to transcribe all in Makefile?.

Not required. But doesn't hurt other than to make extra noise.

Also if a majority of packages start depending on a certain API or the
provider of the API strongly says that newer API should be used, then we
can bump that version directly in the buildlink3.mk file.

  Jeremy C. Reed