Re: Version requirements for dependancies

I don't know why databases/db4/buildlink3.mk has
BUILDLINK_API_DEPENDS.db4+=     db4>=4.7.25.1

Maybe it should be reverted.

It would be especially nice if any definition of BUILDLINK_API_DEPENDS (or
BUILDLINK_ABI_DEPENDS) also has a comment explaining why it was last
changed. Maybe we should have that as a policy.

I agree that individual package could also set requirements like this (and
many packages already do).

I have had many similar problems. (For example, today I installed a pidgin
plugin which tried to force me to update libpurple and pidgin. I manually
patched the two buildlink3.mk files and it build and installed fine (using
my older libpurple and pidgin). And now I am using it fine. Also many
months ago, I had same problem with older versions. I will report this
separately. By the way, the README says it will only work with Pidgin
2.0.0 -- so way wrong.)

I think we need to separate BUILDLINK_API_DEPENDS.foo from pkgsrc-wide
from per-package. For example, I would like to try bulk builds that
doesn't honor the BUILDLINK_API_DEPENDS as set pkgsrc-wide in
buildlink3.mk -- but I need it to still honor the specific ones set per
package. I need that to test over time if settings are too strict or not
strict enough. Maybe I will call it MASTER_BUILDLINK_API_DEPENDS.foo and
then ignore it with a new option USE_MASTER_API_DEPENDS=NO.