Re: LICENSE= public-domain

Rhialto <rhialto%falu.nl@localhost> writes:

> On Sat 18 Oct 2008 at 16:22:40 +0200, Leonardo Taccari wrote:
>> Usually packages with Open Source or Free Software licenses have got
>> LICENSE commented ("make help topic=LICENSE" confirms that) so IMO
>> for databases/sqlite3 should be the same.
>
> And multimedia/libdvdcss, which has in its Makefile
>
> LICENSE=        libdvdcss-license
>
> which is kind of nonsensical, since the libdvdcss license is "the GNU
> General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation;
> either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.",
> i.e. standard boilerplate GPL 2+.

As Joerg pointed out, there are issues with the US DMCA, and perhaps
similar laws in other countries.  Really we need to do two things at
once:

  stay out of the muddles of

    patent claims
    laws

  in particular, don't take any actions which give weight to specious
  claims, and at the same time don't evaluate such claims.

and

  instead of just license under copyright law, handle situations for the
  above.

This mess is presently being finessed more or less successfully by
overloading non-copyright issues into LICENSE on a case-by-case basis.