Re: still struggling with Ghostscript under Solaris

Hi!

raymond.meyer%rambler.ru@localhost wrote:
On Thursday 16 October 2008 14:24:44 Jörn Clausen wrote:
Hi!

I am still not able to compile print/ghostscript under Solaris (Sparc
and x86). Things got worse with 2008Q3: Now I don't get a non-functional
binary, but the binary won't even link.

I can unpack Ghostscript outside pkgsrc, say

env CPPFLAGS='-I/opt/pkgsrc-2008Q3/include' \
     LDFLAGS='-L/opt/pkgsrc-2008Q3/lib -R/opt/pkgsrc-2008Q3/lib' \
./configure --without-omni \
             --without-jasper \
             --with-drivers=HP,JPEG,PBM,PNG,PS,TIFF

and everything builds just perfect. Ok, it insists on using its own
versions of libpng and libjpeg, but I can live with that.

Can someone help me tell pkgsrc to do exactly the same thing? I find the
pkgsrc guide rather demanding (and doing an alternative version of an
already present package seems not to be easy).

Regards,
    Jörn

What sort of error messages do you get when you try to build this package?

Ok, *this* problem can be fixed by changing the Makefile this way:

.if ${OPSYS} == "NetBSD" || ${OPSYS} == "SunOS"
CFLAGS+=                -fPIC
.endif

Now the package links again. But the binary won't work, with the same symptoms as in 2008Q2:

$ gs
GPL Ghostscript 8.63 (2008-08-01)
Copyright (C) 2008 Artifex Software, Inc.  All rights reserved.
This software comes with NO WARRANTY: see the file PUBLIC for details.
Unrecoverable error: undefined in s
Unrecoverable error: undefined in .uninstallpagedevice

I think the reason is most probably this error during the configure run:

checking for XtAppCreateShell in -lXt... yes
sed: 1: ""s/PRINTERS,//"": invalid command code "
checking for mkstemp... yes

But I just can't pinpoint the place in the configure script where this happens.

My main point is, though: All this does not happen when building outside pkgsrc. Then configure does just The Right Thing (i.e. detects -fPIC on its own). So I think the wrapper does too much, at least for Solaris. But fixing the sed error is probably enough to make it work, so any help in finding that spot is appreciated.

Jörn

--
 Jörn Clausen
joern.clausen%uni-bielefeld.de@localhost