two questions about SH, bootstrap_sh, and shprog in bootstrap

Hi, list,

1. I'm having difficulty understanding what the difference is between these
variables.  One would think the purpose is to set the shell used to execute
commands and scripts while bootstrapping pkgsrc.  However, why have two vars
($SH appears to be used only to set up $bootstrap_sh) for the same thing?

2. When bootstrapping, one sets $shprog (I'll call it that because it's the
one that seems most widely used) presumably because the default shell
(/bin/sh) won't work.  Then why aren't scripts that may be installed during
bootstrap (install-sh, mkdir-sh, etc) modified to use this preferred shell?

Thanks,
Tim
--
Tim Larson        AMT2 Unix Systems Administrator
    InterCall, a division of West Corporation

               Eschew obfuscation!