Re: packages with rc.d files

On Fri, 1 Aug 2008 17:06:12 -0400
"Steven M. Bellovin" <smb%cs.columbia.edu@localhost> wrote:

> I'm trying to build a package (adeona) that has an rc.d file.  As I
> read doc/pkgsrc.txt, all I need to do is set RCD_SCRIPTS=adeona and
> have adeona.sh in the files directory.  However, the script isn't
> being installed to /usr/pkg/share/examples/rc.d/adeona and pkgsrc
> complains. Do I need to do more? (I also have some FILES_SUBST
> patterns.)

With help from Jeremy, I figured it out.  The distribution tarball
doesn't have the version number in the directory name, so I had to set
WRKSRC to include 'adeona'.  My rc.d script was also to be called
adeona.  However, the pkgsrc framework tries to copy the script to
work/adeona -- which is a directory, not a file of that name.  This
silently succeeds, but causes trouble later.

I'm not sure what the best solution is here.  For now, I've bypassed
the problem by renaming my script to adeonad.  I may ask the upstream
to rename their tarball going forward; I have a number of other
portability fixes, and they've indicated a lot of willingness to
resolve those issues.  Or perhaps I could have a post-extract rule to
rename the directory to include the version name.