Re: Subversion without python and/or Ruby?

Greg Troxel <gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost> writes:

> I don't think it's agreed to or documented, but my view is that free
> packages that can depend on non-free dependencies should have those
> dependencies be optional and default to off.  Last I checked all the JDK
> stuff was non-free.
>
> To solve this, I think we should have a general 'java' option,
> defaulting off, with all packgaes that can function reasonably without
> java using the option.

*shrug* I guess, but:

1. What about kaffe/gcj/whatever?  Aren't there other Java
   options?  If someone who actually knows a thing or two about
   Java in pkgsrc, they might be able to solve this...

2. Isn't Sun Java becoming free software anyway?  So isn't that
   argument moot?

I find the portabilty argument compelling, though.  Again, it
seems that should be knowable by subversion/Makefile.  If it
isn't, the -java option is the next best thing.

I'm not opposed to anyone making either of the changes :)

--
Eric Gillespie <*> epg%NetBSD.org@localhost