qemu and networking and Memory fault (core dumped)

Whenever I use qemu-0.9.0nb1 from pkgsrc to ssh or ftp out, qemu crashes
with:

Memory fault (core dumped)

That is hosted on NetBSD/amd64 4.99.55.

The virtualized operating systems tried are FreeBSD 4.8 and D...
Small Linux (DSL) 4.2.4. Both crash.

It doesn't crash if pinging the gateway (10.0.2.2 as assigned by qemu).

qemu 0.9.1 has been available for six months or so. A patch was provided
for pkgsrc in January. But I don't recall it working for me (which is why
I am back to 0.9.0). Also fixes have been shared upstream, but I don't see
committed in qemu subversion.

Any ideas?