Re: sysutils/amanda not working

Paul Goyette writes:
- Without making any changes anywhere, amanda has stopped working.  It
- passes all the checks in amcheck, and it actually starts all the dumper
- and taper tasks.  The log files report that all the sendsize tasks
- return no information, and the taper debug log seems to indicate some
- sort of error before it dumps core with a segmentation fault.  Debug
- logs are fairly cryptic and I have no idea what's really wrong, but the
- bottom line is that I'm not getting any backups.

It's an issue of a poor interaction between Amanda and NetBSD's
IPv6 implementation.  Make the following sysctl change, (and
don't forget to add it to /etc/sysctl.conf):

                net.inet6.ip6.v6only=0

The change is needed on all the amanda clients. (and in the
amanda architecture, as far as backups are concerned, the server
is just another client.)

- Is anyone else using amanda?  Are you running it on a X86_64 server?

Yup, and yup..

I've got amanda running on an alpha as the amanda server, lots
of alpha, sparc, sparc64, i386, and x86_64 clients. (mostly
NetBSD, but some SCO OpenServer, Linux, HP-UX and FreeBSD in the mix.)

--
Eric Schnoebelen                eric%cirr.com@localhost
http://www.cirr.com