Re: BUILDLINK_API_DEPENDS for libpurple and pidgin

On Tue, 27 May 2008 07:24:54 -0500 (CDT)
"Jeremy C. Reed" <reed%reedmedia.net@localhost> wrote:

> I have installed: pidgin-2.3.1 and libpurple-2.3.1.
>
> I went to install chat/pidgin-otr, but it tried to bring in new versions
> of pidgin and libpurple. So I stopped it and set
> BUILDLINK_API_DEPENDS.libpurple and BUILDLINK_API_DEPENDS.pidgin so 2.3.1
> version would be okay.
>
> It built and installed fine. And as far as I can tell, it works fine. And
> I didn't have to restart pidgin -- just enabled plugin.
>
> Is the API jump really required? Is the ABI jump really required?
> (ABI_DEPENDS tracks API_DEPENDS when not set.) For me it appears neither
> were needed.
>
> Also, the PKGREVISION on chat/pidgin-otr was never increased related to
> the ABI changes of its dependencies, so I am guessing this was missed. But
> since as far as I know it is not needed, that is good.
>
> Okay to lower the BUILDLINK_API_DEPENDS.libpurple and
> BUILDLINK_API_DEPENDS.pidgin so 2.3.1 version would be okay?

Yes it's OK to lower them.
However, there is no way to know if/when the internal dependencies
between libpurple and pidgin change. If you lower the ABI depends,
please add explicit depends to the pidgin, finch, pidgin-sametime and
pidgin-silc Makefiles so they depend on the exact same version of
libpurple.

Thanks,
-Tobias