problemx building xcursor on Ubuntu 8.04

I'm trying to build some stuff via pkgsrc on Ubuntu Linux.  I'm getting
the following error message:

checking for xfixes... Package fixesproto was not found in the pkg-config
search path. Perhaps you should add the directory containing `fixesproto.pc' to
the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable Package 'fixesproto', required by
'Xfixes', not found
configure: error: Library requirements (xfixes) not met; consider adjusting the
PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if your libraries are in a nonstandard
prefix so pkg-config can find them.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
bmake: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/x11/xcursor

Any suggestions?  The Makefile (in pkgsrc HEAD) contains

PKGCONFIG_OVERRIDE+=    xcursor.pc.in

if that matters.  The fixesproto package is indeed installed.