supporting multiple versions

I'm looking for a way to support multiple versions of
a package install.  Specifically, I'd like keep math/R
binaries from

pkgsrc-2007Q2
pkgsrc-2007Q3
pkgsrc-2007Q4
pkgsrc-2008Q1

of course I won't need to support the older versions
with updates etc, but I will need (working) binaries
from each tag to remain available through a PATH or
similar invocation control.

Not sure if there is a good way to let pkgsrc do this, I
suspect if I can build statically into /usr/pkg then just
move the binaries to /usr/local/bin/R-x.y.z I will be
set. But I'm not seeing directions on this in the guide.

Is this a reasonable approach? How do I do it?

// George

--
George Georgalis, information system scientist <IXOYE><