Re: Experiences with pkgsrc on Macs?

On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 06:49:49PM +0000, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> How well does pkgsrc work on a Mac?  I just got one (mostly to deal
> with Word and Powerpoint files that Openoffice doesn't handle well),
> but of course need to add other software.  Should I use pkgsrc?
> Macports?  Other choices?

pkgsrc, of course! :) Pretty much all the packages I need work fine, both
with Tiger and Leopard.

> (And, perhaps off-topic -- is there any way I can convert my exist file
> MacOS system to handle mixed case, or do I have to reinstall from CD?)

Even though pkgsrc can now be installed on a non-case-sensitive filesystem,
I still took the route of installing my pkgsrc tree and packages into a
disk image using case-sensitive HFS+. You can even make it a sparse one
[1]. I'm not aware of any tools to convert an existing filesystem to be
case-sensitive, but I have heard of OS X itself not liking installation
on such a filesystem.

[1] http://blog.carrel.org/2006/08/ignore-pkgsrc-disk-image-instructions.html

-mj
--