RE: confusion regarding .include vs DEPENDS

Johnny C. Lam <mailto:jlam%pkgsrc.org@localhost> wrote:
> You want to include a dependency's buildlink3.mk files *only* if the
> package links against libraries provided by the dependency.
> Otherwise, use DEPENDS.
>
> See Juan's reply for how to set the version for a buildlink3.mk file.

So, when is it important to specify a version (with either method) and when
is it not?  I'm not completely sure I understand the distinction between
them (better explanation in the doco would be great), and also am still
unsure if this mistake is what caused the unwanted updating.

Tim
--
Tim Larson        AMT2 Unix Systems Administrator
    InterCall, a division of West Corporation

               Eschew obfuscation!