Re: Updating emulators/simh

On Fri, 2008-02-29 21:06:32 +0000, Chavdar Ivanov <ci4ic4%gmail.com@localhost>
wrote:
> On 29/02/2008, Jan-Benedict Glaw <jbglaw%lug-owl.de@localhost> wrote:
> >  I can also activate a disk (set rq0 rauser=15000) with
> >  more than 2GB, which didn't work before, too.
> >
> >  However, this is all pretty untested because the VAX install CD I've
> >  built doesn't boot. (This isn't is problem of SIMH, but with the CD
> >  image itself.)
>
> I just downloaded the release version. As far as I know it, there are
> some problems with -current on VAX, so I didn't bother to build one.

I tried. It builds, but the resulting ISO won't boot properly ("boot"
seems to not find the kernel) so I cannot test it. There are, tough,
reports that CURRENT should be mostly fixed, albeit it doesn't boot:

>>>b dua1
(BOOT/R5:0 DUA1

  2..
-DUA1
  1..0..

>> NetBSD/vax boot [1.11 Thu Feb 28 22:18:11 CET 2008] <<
>> Press any key to abort autoboot 0
getdisklabel: no disk label
nfs_open: must mount first.
open netbsd.vax: Device not configured
> boot netbsd
getdisklabel: no disk label
nfs_open: must mount first.
open netbsd: Device not configured
netbsd: boot failed: Device not configured
> boot netbsd.gz
getdisklabel: no disk label
nfs_open: must mount first.
open netbsd.gz: Device not configured
netbsd.gz: boot failed: Device not configured
> boot netbsd.old
getdisklabel: no disk label
nfs_open: must mount first.
open netbsd.old: Device not configured
netbsd.old: boot failed: Device not configured
> boot gennetbsd
getdisklabel: no disk label
nfs_open: must mount first.
open gennetbsd: Device not configured
gennetbsd: boot failed: Device not configured

> I can also say that the emulator felt much faster than expected - on a
> dual 800 mhz i386 box; it did take about an hour to install (sans
> X11), but then it feels almost like a physical machine.

Cudos go to some guy that figured out that inlining the memory access
functions will gain about 30% performance.

MfG, JBG

--
      Jan-Benedict Glaw      jbglaw%lug-owl.de@localhost
+49-172-7608481