Re: Building R-2.6.0 fails on macppc

On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 08:37:56 -0600
jim smith <n0oct%sbcglobal.net@localhost> wrote:

> I'm cc'ing the macppc list on this to see if anyone else has experience
> with this.
>
> I'm trying to build R-2.6.0 on a macppc [G3] machine which has recently
> been upgraded from 3.0-4.0.  I cvsup'd the pkgs and ran pkg_chk -f -u
> -s to upgrade the packages [and they all appeared to upgrade].
>
> I am now trying to build R for this machine, and it fails like this:

<snip>

> 2>/dev/null|grep -v /ext-` -lblas -lF77 -lI77 -lm -R/usr/pkg/lib:
> -R/usr/X11R6/lib:      /usr/lib/libintl.so -lreadline  -lpcre -lbz2 -lz -lm
> -liconv CConverters.o: In function `do_setToCConverterActiveStatus':
> CConverters.c:(.text+0x532): relocation truncated to fit: R_PPC_GOT16

<SNIP>

Apparently that last bit, "relocation truncated to fit:" is the key.
The compiler [as I understand it], can't handle it on this platform.
One also cannot add "makeoptions CFLAGS="-mlong-calls" to the kernel
conf and rebuild, as the -mlong-calls is not an option for the compiler
on the macppc platform.

Anybody had any luck getting around this for any packages?

--
jim smith <n0oct%sbcglobal.net@localhost>