Re: Cross-compiling packages

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:

> pkgsrc/doc/HOWTO-crosscompile-xorg. The infrastructure can handle other
> peeces as long as all dependencies can be cross-compiled. The biggest
> no-no currently is Perl. Feel free to ask any questions to clarify this.

The instructions have:

DEPENDS_TARGET=         package-install

which -- if I understand correctly -- builds package first and then
installs it.

I am confused about why it is installed. Where is it installed if the
MACHINE_ARCH (what-to-compile-for) is different from the native build
host?

Can you explain that in your howto?

Also where is the package placed? Does PACKAGES need to be defined for
this specifically? (Or does it keep the native packages separate
from the target packages?)

Thanks for your work on this.

  Jeremy C. Reed