Re: declaration of strptime

On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 10:10:18PM +0000, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

> The specific problem is that these packages simply followed the Linux
> instructions to "#define _XOPEN_SOURCE"...  And between the autoconf
> stuff and the pkgsrc stuff, I can't really tell what's in effect here
> -- all I'm certain of is that strptime() was not being declared
> properly until I patched the #define.

The Linux instructions are, to put it gently, stupid.  They're telling
anyone who wants to use the strptime function that they should define
a feature macro that *disables* anything in the namespace not specified
by X/Open -- this is almost certainly not what's wanted.

--
  Thor Lancelot Simon
tls%rek.tjls.com@localhost

  "The inconsistency is startling, though admittedly, if consistency is to
   be abandoned or transcended, there is no problem."         - Noam Chomsky