Re: OVERRIDES variable needed? (was: change PKGNAME for mowitz?)

> Okay to change PKGNAME of Mowitz to mowitz (x11/mowitz)?

Some time ago in pkg-tech@ we talked about new variable OVERRIDES
(I forget your variant, sorry :-) ) that should be a part of pkg-summary
and should be written in in package's Makefile.  You told that you'll
make this. Do you have any progress in doing this?

For those who didn't read this discussion.
Sometimes, packages in pkgsrc (package is identified by PKGNAME, not
by CATEGORY/DIR) are renamed for a number of reasons. For example
python24 may be renamed to python, glib may become glib1 and glib2
may be renamed to glib. I suggested to include this kind of information
to project's Makefile and include its variable to pkg_info -X
to add it to pkg-summary. All this is necessary for easy binary upgrades
(and actually source-based too).
Jeremy suggested different name for OVERRIDES.

Example:
x11/mowitz/Makefile
    OVERRIDES+=          Mowitz-[0-9]*

devel/glib/Makefile (assuming we are that time where devel/glib
                     where glib version 1)

    OVERRIDES+=          glib<=1.999.0

lang/python/Makefile
    OVERRIDES+=          python24-[0-9]*

If I don't miss something given this extra information "overrides"
orgraph (V, E) may be constructed where V - is set of binary packages,
and E \in (V * V) - relation "overrides". I hope idea is simple and clear.

I'm sure that this new functionality is REALLY necessary to make
pkgsrc much better and much more friendly to users, should be
developped by pkgsrc developers and be supported by packagers.

--
Best regards, Aleksey Cheusov.