Re: ps2pdf utils

On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 22:30:35 -0600
"Francisco Valladolid" <ficovh%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Jan 6, 2008 2:59 PM, Matthias Drochner <M.Drochner%fz-juelich.de@localhost>
> wrote:
>

> > ficovh%yahoo.com@localhost said:
> > > Normally I grab a  web content with Firefox in ps format, later
> > > convert it to pdf using ps2pdf (13, 14 etc).
> > >
> > > This time, ps is ok, but the conversion into pdf produce wrong
> > > characters.
> >
> > I've been using ps2pdf successfully, mostly to convert .ps
> > files created by LaTeX+dvips.
> > I'm certainly not an expert in font encoding schemes, but
> > without details or example files noone can tell what your
> > problem is.
> >

> me too, are converting .ps files from latex, and other programs (such
> as Firefox for grabbing web pages), the .ps is ok, while watching
> with gv, at the time to convert both epdfview or xpfg don't display
> it correctly.
>
> I'm using netBSD 4.99.45, gv --version ( gv 3.6.3)  , ghostscript
> 8.6.0 from pkgsrc -current

I can't speak about the other issues, but when running dvips I
generally find it useful to use the -G0 option to avoid some encoding
problems.  The "NSF Fastlane" (if you don't know what that is, don't
worry) guidelines on producing PDF also suggest the following arguments
to ps2pdf:

        -dMaxSubsetPct=100 -dCompatibilityLevel=1.3 -dSubsetFonts=true
        -dEmbe dAllFonts=true -r2400

(Those guidelines are very good at producing very portable PDF.)