Re: pkgsrc on Debian GNU/Linux

On Fri, Dec 21, 2007 at 04:24:52PM +0000, Ognyan Kulev wrote:
> > On Fri, 21 Dec 2007, Ognyan Kulev wrote:
> > > X11BASE=                /usr
>
> X11BASE by default is /usr/X11R6. In Debian, and probably other Linux
> distributions, it's /usr. So some kind of test should be made. Like: if
> there's
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11, then X11BASE=/usr/X11R6. If there's /usr/lib/X11, then
> X11BASE=/usr. Otherwise warn user that right X11BASE is unknown.

This is not generally true. It strongly depends on whether they use
modular Xorg or not. The existence of /usr/lib/X11 doesn't orivide
anything useful at all, given that older FHS recommented those to always
exist or provide a symlink to /usr/X11R6.

> > > LDFLAGS+=               -Wl,-rpath -Wl,/usr/pkg/lib
>
> When compiling, there's something like -Wl,-R/usr/lib64 -Wl,-R/usr/pkg/lib. So
> when program depends on, for example, gtk, and system gtk is 2.8 but pkgsrc
> gtk
> is 2.12, then pkgsrc port expects to find 2.12 but finds 2.8 because
> /usr/lib64
> is checked first. Probably fixable by swapping places of /usr/pkg/lib and
> /usr/lib64 - it's common sense that pkgsrc libs are newer versions than system
> libs and so they should be used, at least when compiling pkgsrc ports.

It is not common sense. You will run into random issues with various
problems here anyway. Ultimately, /usr/lib64 shouldn't have to be added
explicitly at all, but I guess they fucked up too much for that to work.

Joerg