Re: NSpluginwrapper and -current

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007, Chavdar Ivanov wrote:

> On 20/12/2007, Chavdar Ivanov <ci4ic4%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
> > On 20/12/2007, Henry Bent <hbent%cs.oberlin.edu@localhost> wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I am running 4.99.17 i386 now (from early April) and would like to
> > > upgrade to the latest -current.  However, I found that when I boot a
> > > new kernel, without having updated userland yet, nspluginwrapper stops
> > > working.  It says:
> > >
> > > *** NSPlugin Wrapper *** ERROR: failed to initialize plugin-side RPC
> > > client connection
> > > *** NSPlugin Wrapper *** ERROR: NP_Initialize() invoke: Connection was
> > > NULL
> > >
> > > I am running pkgsrc-2007Q3 fully updated, so I have
> > > nspluginwrapper-0.9.91.5, firefox-2.0.0.8, and all the latest patches of
> > > the 10.0 SuSE compat stuff.
> > >
> > > Has anyone else seen this?  Will this behavior go away if I update my
> > > userland?  I really don't want to do the upgrade until I am sure that it
> > > will work.
> >
> > No, I am running -current - usually the kernel is not more than a week
> > late - and nspluginwrapper works just fine. I do have the latest SuSE
> > stuff, but Firefox is also followed with any minor upgrade, presently
> > at 2.0.0.11.
> >

> I was too quick - - - some flash sites are working fine, i.e. youtube;
> some - not; I am getting:
>
> *** NSPlugin Wrapper *** ERROR: NPP_Destroy() invoke: Connection closed
> *** NSPlugin Wrapper *** ERROR: NPClass::Invalidate() invoke: Connection
> closed
> *** NSPlugin Wrapper *** ERROR: NP_Shutdown() invoke: Connection closed
>
> and an npviewer.bin.core when I visit, say,
>
> http://www.volvocars.co.uk/campaigns/Local/V70_Launch/default.htm

Hmm, that's odd.  My test site for 4.99.42 was youtube, which wouldn't
load at all, but I tested other sites and saw the same behavior for all of
them.  It sounds like we are seeing different problems.

If it matters, I am using a downloaded version of the flash plugin,
9.0.48, rather than the version from pkgsrc.

I tried doing a ktrace -i on firefox to see what was happening, but even
when I just loaded youtube and then quit the trace file was huge - 100+ MB
- and very difficult to follow.  If anyone has any clues on tests I
could to do to narrow down the problem I would appreciate it, but I am
worried that the inability of nspluginwrapper (or, more properly,
npviewer.bin) to run standalone will greatly hinder tracking down
problems.