Subject: Re: pkgsrc on Debian GNU/Linux
To: None <pkgsrc-users@netbsd.org>
From: Ognyan Kulev <ogi@triangle.bg>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 12/21/2007 16:24:52
> On Fri, 21 Dec 2007, Ognyan Kulev wrote:
> > X11BASE=                /usr

X11BASE by default is /usr/X11R6. In Debian, and probably other Linux
distributions, it's /usr. So some kind of test should be made. Like: if there's
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11, then X11BASE=/usr/X11R6. If there's /usr/lib/X11, then
X11BASE=/usr. Otherwise warn user that right X11BASE is unknown.

> > LDFLAGS+=               -Wl,-rpath -Wl,/usr/pkg/lib

When compiling, there's something like -Wl,-R/usr/lib64 -Wl,-R/usr/pkg/lib. So
when program depends on, for example, gtk, and system gtk is 2.8 but pkgsrc gtk
is 2.12, then pkgsrc port expects to find 2.12 but finds 2.8 because /usr/lib64
is checked first. Probably fixable by swapping places of /usr/pkg/lib and
/usr/lib64 - it's common sense that pkgsrc libs are newer versions than system
libs and so they should be used, at least when compiling pkgsrc ports.

> > PKG_CONFIG_PATH=        /usr/pkg/lib/pkgconfig

Similar to the previous one. gtk 2.8 pkgconfig information in /usr/lib/pkgconfig
is found before pkgsrc one in /usr/pkg/lib/pkgconfig. I don't know where the
order of search is set.

Jeremy C. Reed <reed <at> reedmedia.net> writes:

> These three should not be documented. Pkgsrc should do the right thing.
>
> Please report your actual errors so we can fix the problem.

I believe that the above can be fixed so that users don't waste time on finding
these things.

Regards,
Ognyan Kulev