Re: building applications with debug information

Salvador Fandino wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have compiled and installed firefox on a NetBSD 4.0_RC5/sparc64 machine
> using pkgsrc. It is not very stable and I would like do run it under gdb, but
> the executable that gets installed doesn't have debugging information and is
> striped.
>
> So far, I have modified Makefile.common, setting "COPTS?= -O0 -g", and I can
> see that the compiler is using these flags, but I am not sure if this is the
> "right" way. And anyway, at the end, the binary is being striped so, I am not
> able to get a binary useful for debuging
>
> How can I do it?
>
> Cheers,
>
> - Salva

Hi,

Try setting INSTALL_UNSTRIPPED=YES

You can also set these in your mk.conf if you don't want to modify the
individual Makefiles but this will impact all the pkgsrc builds you do.
 Some ppl have some fancy lines in their mk.conf which is basically an
equivalent of

if (package = firefox)
        CFLAGS+=                -g
        INSTALL_UNSTRIPPED=     YES
fi

If you search through the archives I'm sure you'll find some examples.

adrian.