Subject: evince won't start with D-Bus error
To: None <pkgsrc-users@netbsd.org>
From: None <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 12/03/2007 09:06:31
Just installed evince on a new system (all new packages built).

tx:evince$ evince
process 3545: D-Bus library appears to be incorrectly set up; failed to
read machine uuid: Failed to open "/var/lib/dbus/machine-id": No such file
or directory
See the manual page for dbus-uuidgen to correct this issue.
  D-Bus not compiled with backtrace support so unable to print a backtrace
Abort (core dumped)

So I ran:

	sudo dbus-uuidgen --ensure

which created:

	tx:evince$ cat /var/lib/dbus/machine-id
	d5acfc2a6a01eb905fc9140047541a5b

And now evince works.

I assume this problem exists for other dbus using programs?

Should pkgsrc do this automatically?

Or should these tools really require this dbus feature?

I don't know much about this. I just want to use the PDF viewer :)

  Jeremy C. Reed