Re: sysutils/dbus-glib and MAKE_JOBS

--- John Nemeth <jnemeth%victoria.tc.ca@localhost> wrote:

> On Apr 20,  7:38am, Rumko wrote:
> } John Nemeth wrote:
> } > On Apr 19,  8:26pm, Rumko wrote:
> } > }
> } > } Without MAKE_JOBS, dbus-glib compiles without errors on my
> machine
> } > (DragonFly } BSD) while using for example MAKE_JOBS=2 (also tried
> with
> } > MAKE_JOBS=5) in my } mk.conf makes the package unbuildable
> "gmake[4]: *** No
> } > rule to make target
> } > } `../dbus/libdbus-glib-1.la', needed by `dbus-glib-test'.
> Stop.".
> } > }
> } > } Anyone else can confirm this (maybe even on other systems)?
> } >
> } >      There are many packages that have problems with MAKE_JOBS.
> It
> } > isn't surprising that this one has problems.  I've added
> } > MAKE_JOBS_SAFE=NO to the Makefile.  This will allow you to build
> it
> } > with MAKE_JOBS in your mk.conf.
> }
> } I know that, but if I can find a few of them and report them, it's
> } still better than doing nothing? Or are there some other plans
> } regarding this and MAKE_JOBS_SAFE is just a temporary solution (in
> } which case, it's probably not worth reporting anymore)?
>
>      If you can provide patches to fix the problem with the package
> or
> get upstream to fix the problem, then the MAKE_JOBS_SAFE can be
> removed, otherwise it is probably more or less permanent.  There are
> so
> many of these problems that I doubt there are many pkgsrc developers
> willing to spend much time on them.  It is just too big of a time
> sink.
> However, feel free to report broken packages, so that
> MAKE_JOBS_SAFE=NO
> can be added to them.
>
> }-- End of excerpt from Rumko

Quick question: are there are guides/tips/general rules anywhere on how
to properly specify Makefile dependencies to allow working parallel
jobs? Or, is it just a matter of completely specifying dependency
information?

      Looking for a X-Mas gift?  Everybody needs a Flickr Pro Account.

http://www.flickr.com/gift/