how to update packages in production

hello list,

My company would consider to switch to NetBSD with their hosting, if
following ciriterias are met:

- Is it possible to update the apache webserver without interrupting
the running httpd service during the update ?
- Is it  possible to update mysql without interrupting the mysql
service during the update ?
- Is it possible to install, add, remove modules for php without
interrupting remaining services ?

and if, how ?

I usually do a "make update", which removes for example apache from
the package list and updates it, but the running server remains
running during the updates until I restart the new apache.

Is this the correct way to do it ?

Btw, the current hosting environment is FreeBSD with jails. Something
like jails would be excellent at least as a test bed for projects,
before going online. Is there something like jails aswell for NetBSD ?

Regards, Zafer.