Subject: Re: how to update packages in production
To: pkgsrc-users@NetBSD.org <pkgsrc-users@netbsd.org>
From: George Georgalis <george@galis.org>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 11/07/2007 14:35:04
On Wed, Nov 07, 2007 at 02:57:03PM +0100, Geert Hendrickx wrote:
>On Wed, Nov 07, 2007 at 09:44:06AM +0100, Zafer Aydogan wrote:
>> - Is it possible to update the apache webserver without interrupting the
>>    running httpd service during the update ?
>> - Is it  possible to update mysql without interrupting the mysql service
>>   during the update ?
>> - Is it possible to install, add, remove modules for php without
>>   interrupting remaining services ?
>

>I've run countless source updates of all those packages with the services still
>running, even on slow old SPARC servers where they take a day to compile.  You
>can remove Apache + PHP + all modules from the system and it will keep running,
>as long as you don't reload/restart in the meanwhile (let alone reboot).  So
>there IS a risk (if you have a power outage or another issue that causes the
>system to reboot, it will come up with incomplete services).

I have similar requirements for some programs, but
more specifically, I'll need to support all prior
versions. So I was thinking to experiment with
/usr/pkg-2007Q1 /usr/pkg-2007Q2 /var/db/pkg-2007Q1
/var/db/pkg-2007Q2 vs installing my own src in
/usr/local/package-1.01 /usr/local/package-1.02 etc

for users they just have to get their path right,
I think that will fly for administration, with two
env settings. One benefit is you can test a new
tag concurrently, if you can manage the ports and
multiple conf files etc.

>> Btw, the current hosting environment is FreeBSD with jails. Something like
>> jails would be excellent at least as a test bed for projects, before going
>> online. Is there something like jails aswell for NetBSD ?
>

>Xen. (Seriously.)

IIRC Xen requires i386, but I saw a recent post that
linux emulation is {working for some} on amd64. Is
linux emulation needed for Xen on (netbsd) amd64? Is
it something to anticipate in 2008Q1?

// George

--
George Georgalis, information system scientist <IXOYE><