Subject: Problems with gnome
To: None <pkgsrc-users@netbsd.org>
From: Alexey Lebedev <lebedev@zhtw.org.ru>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 10/20/2007 13:59:05
Hello!

I installed gnome over modular xorg. I have problems with many things.
The most important to me is that keyboard switcher doesn't work (I'm
russian). I cannot add any layout and when I'm trying to change group
switch shortcut it says this:
===============================
Error activating XKB configuration.
It can happen under various circumstances:
- a bug in libxklavier library
- a bug in X server (xkbcomp, xmodmap utilities)
- X server with incompatible libxkbfile implementation

X server version data:
The X.Org Foundation
10300000

If you report this situation as a bug, please include:
- The result of xprop -root | grep XKB
- The result of gconftool-2 -R /desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/kbd
===============================
BTW it worked with XFree86 from base installation.

Another thing is that totem (with gstreamer) doesn't work at all. It
says "Could not initialise supporting library." and following message
appears in .xseesion-errors:
=============
(totem:6550): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: gst_element_set_bus: assertion
`GST_IS_ELEMENT (element)' failed

(totem:6550): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: gst_element_set_state: assertion
`GST_IS_ELEMENT (element)' failed
** Message: Error: Could not initialise supporting library.
gstautovideosink.c(255): gst_auto_video_sink_detect ():
/video-sink/bin0/autovideosink0:
Failed to find a supported video sink

Window manager warning: Invalid WM_TRANSIENT_FOR window 0x2600003
specified for 0x26000a6 ().

I remember it happened in FreeBSD 2 or 3 releases earlier.

Evoluion doesn't work as well. It cannot initialise the main form in
configuration wizard so it's not possible to configure an account properly.

Do theses problems appear to me only? Maybe I did something wrong in
general.

Alexey Lebedev