Subject: Re: testers wanted for nagios plugins
To: None <pkgsrc-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Klaus Heinz <k.heinz@oktsieben.kh-22.de>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 10/15/2007 21:12:49
Geert Hendrickx wrote:

> I've already been running the new Nagios plugins for a while  (on NetBSD 3.0
> and 3.1 systems), and they seem to work fine.  I was planning to commit this
> in a few days. :-)

The important point here is not general testing but testing the pkgsrc
package with changed patches. I removed some unnecessary patches,
rewrote some patches to make them acceptable for inclusion upstream.
IMNSHO, we have far too many patches fixing something quick and dirty to
let the package build and neglect feeding acceptable patches back to the
projects.
I built the new plugins first _with_ patch-ak, everything looked fine.
After a closer look it seemed to me, that the whole patch is now
unnecessary but testing that would be much better, especially as patch-ak
changes code sections for OSF1/Darwin, 4.4BSD and SVR3.
CVS history often does not help very much in deciding why a certain
patch was created :-/.

> As for Nagios itself, I updated the package to 2.9 (without committing), but
> there is a pthread bug since 2.7 which is caught by our libpthread and makes
> nagios abort unless setting PTHREAD_DIAGASSERT=A (it went unnoticed on Linux
> as usual).   I've reported this to the Nagios developers and they're looking
> into it.

Good to know, so I won't repeat your work again. Did you update
nagios-nrpe and nagios-nsca as well?

ciao
     Klaus