Subject: Re: rar package is now useless (was: CVS commit: pkgsrc)
To: None <pkgsrc-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Bernd Ernesti <netbsd@lists.veego.de>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 10/10/2007 18:20:41
On Wed, Oct 10, 2007 at 04:22:07PM +0200, Bernd Ernesti wrote:
> This change produces a usless package on NetBSD/i386, because:
>
> check-ksyms: symbol exec_nomid not found in /netbsd

I got a reply from someone pointing out that it would not even work when
I have some additional compat options defined:

: exec_nomid is defined in src/sys/arch/i386/i386/machdep.c.  It is
: static there (and has been for a long time) so I don't see how this
: could have ever worked.  (check-ksyms.sh uses nm to look at /netbsd
: and static symbols won't show up.)

[..]

> I can't find a way to use the linux binary, which is even a newer
> version and I would be forced to use the outdated bsd rar binary,
> if it would install at all.

And got another hint from the same person how to work around this problem:

: Until this gets fixed, you should be able to get the Linux version
: using:
:
:   make EMUL_PLATFORM=linux-i386 update
:
: in pkgsrc/archivers/rar.  At least it works here.

Which works for me too.

Bernd

P.S. Sorry for the tone, but I was frustrated that it didn't work anymore.
And sorry Johnny that you got my first mail twice, but I missed one char
when I added the mailing list address.