Subject: Re: do we need to check for text files in subst.mk?
To: None <pkgsrc-users@netbsd.org>
From: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@britannica.bec.de>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 10/04/2007 22:22:20
On Thu, Oct 04, 2007 at 09:43:01PM +0200, Roland Illig wrote:
> I have changed the _SUBST_IS_TEXT macro in my local copy of pkgsrc to just
> check for embedded '\0' bytes, and it works great:

I would make the check more aggressive in that it complains about
anything not using normal printable characters (in the ASCII sense)
and add a second variable for the case where we need to overwrite it.
The hardest part is making sure that there are no regressions.

If you send me a patch that can includes this optionally and logs any
difference between the old approach and the new one, I can include it in
a bulk build.

Joerg