Subject: Re: Updating pkg_install on NetBSD 4
To: None <pkgsrc-users@NetBSD.org>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 09/28/2007 17:23:28
On Feb 18, 11:38am, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
} On Fri, Sep 28, 2007 at 07:51:10AM -0700, John Nemeth wrote:
} > On Feb 18, 11:19am, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
} > } On Fri, Sep 28, 2007 at 07:28:41AM -0700, John Nemeth wrote:
} > } > } Variant 2b (still for "custom" builds):
} > } > } Before running build.sh, the user also gets a pkgsrc tree and sets the
} > } > } MKPKGSRC option (or whatever) similiar to MKX11. The bootstrap is
} > } > } cross-compiled as part of the release build.
} > } >
} > } >      I assume this goes for official release builds as well.  I don't
} > } > know what releng will think of this idea.  The problems that I see are
} > } > having to have a pkgsrc checkout available and how to ensure that
} > } > release builds are reproducable.
} > }
} > } Given that the pkgsrc checkout can be shared between the releases, it
} > } shouldn't be too bad. Reproducablity is somewhat ensured by using a
} > } pkgsrc branch. We have to be a bit more careful about when to alter
} > } versions in pkgsrc and when not, but that should be managable.
} >
} >      Pullups are made to pkgsrc branches.  Would tags be provided so
} > that one could get the exact code used in a particular release?
}
} Yes, but not without reason. Which problem are you trying to address? I

     The problem is reproducing the release.

} think it is a *good* idea for the user to get bugfixes. I mentioned the

     I would agree.  But, a release is a snapshot of a release branch
at a particular point in time.  It should be possible to reproduce
exactly what was released.

} versioning because it *should* be enough to be told which pkg_install
} version the user got to decide when he checked out the tree. That
} doesn't mean that it is impossible to tag the corresponding version for
} NetBSD releases in pkgsrc, but I don't think there's much to be gained
} from that. This is similiar to building from the release branch BTW.

     I'm aware of this.  But reproducibility of a release is important.

}-- End of excerpt from Joerg Sonnenberger