Subject: Re: Updating pkg_install on NetBSD 4
To: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 09/28/2007 13:27:00
On Fri, Sep 28, 2007 at 02:16:46PM +0200, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 28, 2007 at 04:39:56AM -0700, John Nemeth wrote:
> >      Perhaps if you were to detail exactly what this means, we would
> > have a better basis for discussion.  For the sake of argument, let's
> > say you get to remove pkg_install from base for NetBSD 5.0.  Tell the
> > complete list of steps that a user would need to do after installing
> > NetBSD 5.0 before they could type 'pkg_add <some random binary
> > package>' (assume that said package can successfully install and run on
> > the user's system).
>
> Variant 1 (for "official" release builds):
> The user selects the pkgsrc set (or whatever it should be called) during
> sysinst. That's all.
>
> Variant 2a (for "custom" builds):
> The user doesn't select the pkgsrc set or wants a newer one from
> scratch. She fetches a pkgsrc tree and runs bootstrap/bootstrap.
>
> Variant 2b (still for "custom" builds):
> Before running build.sh, the user also gets a pkgsrc tree and sets the
> MKPKGSRC option (or whatever) similiar to MKX11. The bootstrap is
> cross-compiled as part of the release build.

This is all well and good, but you assume here that the only
method of installing or upgrading is by means of sets.

I intend to kickstart the syspkgs work that Jim Wise did
some time ago, and had been waiting for the pkg_install
rewrite to complete, so that syspkgs could take advantage
of DESTDIR- or chroot-style installs. I don't see that
being finished any time soon, so we shall just have to
persevere with the pkg_install tools that we have.

Whatever, it still mandates that pkg_install is available
as part of the base operating system.

Non-negotiable.

Regards,
Alistair