Re: Updating pkg_install on NetBSD 4

On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 07:33:09PM +0200, Christian Hattemer wrote:
> John Nemeth wrote:
>
>> } Are there plans to remove the old tools from base then? I think this
>> would      There are certainly people that would like to do this.
>> } be a good idea.
>>      I disagree that it would be a good idea.  pkgsrc is NetBSD's
>> packaging system.  It MUST be seemless to use it.
>
> Why not use the bootstrap feature also on NetBSD itself?

This is exactly what I would like to see.

> Or maybe include the files that make up the package pkg_install and
> /var/db/pkg in the base set (or maybe a pkgsrc set), so that a fresh
> installed system already has one package with the tools installed. However
> this sounds ugly.

Why? This is exactly what you get on DragonFly -- the base system and a
bootstrap from the time the release ISO was built. It is exactly as much
jumping through holes for users as it is on NetBSD, with the very minor
difference that updating etc works as updates on pkgsrc are always done.
Whether this is done by just shipping the binary bootstrap kit as
additional set or various other possible mechanisms is an entirely
different question.

Joerg