Subject: Re: Updating pkg_install on NetBSD 4
To: None <pkgsrc-users@NetBSD.org>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 09/24/2007 21:43:09
On Feb 14, 11:50am, "Johnny C. Lam" wrote:
} Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
} >
} > So let's reiterate the problem. NetBSD insists on shipping pkg_install
} > with base. pkg_install gets updated in pksrc for new features. NetBSD
} > users now have a problem.
}
} (e) Make pkg_install in base install into /usr/libexec/pkg_install and
} create a pkgwrapper(8) that works much like mailwrapper(8) and reads
} /etc/pkgwrapper.conf for configuration information.  Make pkg_install in

     I think this would be an overly complex solution, but I wouldn't
be totally opposed to it.

} pkgsrc install into ${PREFIX}/libexec/pkg_install and provides an
} example pkgwrapper.conf that can be copied into /etc to make pkgwrapper
} use the pkgsrc-installed versions of the pkg_* tools.

     In this case, I think it should be copied in place automatically
(with a backup of the original being made).  The reason is that if
somebody installs the pkgsrc version of pkg_install then presumably
they need it.  The pkgsrc version will always be the latest version and
is upwards compatible.  It's not like the difference between sendmail
and postfix where they have completely different config files and
require a bit of effort to make them work properly.

} This choice avoids the problems with (a), (b) or (c).  Yes, this is more
} complex, but it does fix the problem without removing pkg_install from a
} base install of NetBSD.
}
}-- End of excerpt from "Johnny C. Lam"