Subject: Re: Updating pkg_install on NetBSD 4
To: None <pkgsrc-users@netbsd.org>
From: Christian Hattemer <c.hattemer@arcor.de>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 09/24/2007 19:33:09
John Nemeth wrote:

> } Are there plans to remove the old tools from base then? I think this would
>
>      There are certainly people that would like to do this.
>
> } be a good idea.
>
>      I disagree that it would be a good idea.  pkgsrc is NetBSD's
> packaging system.  It MUST be seemless to use it.

Why not use the bootstrap feature also on NetBSD itself?

Or maybe include the files that make up the package pkg_install and
/var/db/pkg in the base set (or maybe a pkgsrc set), so that a fresh
installed system already has one package with the tools installed. However
this sounds ugly.

But the current solution with the PATH hacking mentioned in the other mail
isn't less ugly and should be fixed before NetBSD 4.0 is released, to be
able to include pullups that may be necessary for the fix.

If you don't do the PATH hack and the tools installed by the package become
incompatible with the old ones in /usr/sbin you may experience strange
results, or an error message in the best case. This isn't seemless either...

--
Bye, Chris