Subject: Re: Updating pkg_install on NetBSD 4
To: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
From: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@britannica.bec.de>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 09/24/2007 14:53:13
On Sun, Sep 23, 2007 at 02:33:48PM -0700, John Nemeth wrote:
> } > Due to the default settings for $PATH the old versions in /usr/sbin are
> } > still the ones that are picked up.
> }
> } On the command line or by pkgsrc? pkgsrc itself should pick up the new
>
>      The answer to this question is rather obvious.  Given that
> /usr/pkg/* comes rather late in the default path, the new stuff won't
> be picked up by default.

pkgsrc itself should do the right thing already. I've referenced
PKG_TOOLS_BIN exactly for the case where it doesn't. I would be
interested to here about that though. A good intermediate solution
between altering PATH and removing the base version is adding some
aliases to your shell config.

> } version, otherwise you can set PKG_TOOLS_BIN to /usr/pkg/sbin.
>
>      Why should anybody have to do something like this?  Yes, pkgsrc is
> portable to many systems.  But, first and foremost, it is NetBSD's
> packaging system.  It MUST work completely seemlessly on NetBSD!

Personally I would like to get rid of the special casing of NetBSD here.
Means no pkg_install in base at all. If the requirements for that are
support for cross-compiling the bootstrap, that's possible to achieve.
I'm sure I mentioned it before: Special-casing NetBSD is hurting it more
than it adds.

Joerg