Subject: Re: Updating pkg_install on NetBSD 4
To: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@britannica.bec.de>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 09/23/2007 22:58:32
On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 17:08:14 +0200
Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@britannica.bec.de> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 22, 2007 at 09:43:57PM +0200, Christian Hattemer wrote:
> > I went to /usr/pkgsrc/pkgtools/pkg_install and did a "make update".
> > This used to update the pkgtools in /usr/sbin with the new ones.
> >
> > However it installed the new files into /usr/pkg/sbin now, leaving
> > those in /usr/sbin untouched.
> >
> > Did I miss something?
>
> No. This behaviour was changed as it created more problems than it
> fixed.
>
> > Due to the default settings for $PATH the old versions in /usr/sbin
> > are still the ones that are picked up.
>
> On the command line or by pkgsrc? pkgsrc itself should pick up the new
> version, otherwise you can set PKG_TOOLS_BIN to /usr/pkg/sbin.
>
> I will not support the old replacement installation.

So -- what is the proper behavior for a NetBSD user when he or she is
told that pkg_install is out of date?  Last I checked, it couldn't be
deleted via pkg_delete unless at least -f and maybe -ff is specified.
At the very least, the 'make' messages need to be clarified.  Also,
what should happen for folks who track -current, which -- at least last
time I looked -- would put its versions into /usr/sbin.  Is that
version going to be the latest one?

I'm not going to argue with you about the older behavior creating more
problems than it fixed; you know pkgsrc far better than I do.  I would
like consistent behavior that doesn't surprise system administrators.