Re: tracking down an indirect reference

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 12:53:28 -0500 (CDT)
"Jeremy C. Reed" <reed%reedmedia.net@localhost> wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Sep 2007, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to update a package.  When doing a 'make configure', it
> > complains that
> >
> >     ERROR: opencdk is not installed; can't buildlink files.
> >
> > The problem is that I can't figure out where this is coming from.
> > Presumably, *something* is asking for it; I just don't know what.
> > There are no references to opencdk anywhere in the work subtree;
> > I've also checked all of the pkgsrc directories for everything
> > included.  I haven't tried figuring out the complete dependency
> > tree.  I did grep all of /usr/pkg/* to see if anything even
> > mentioned opencdk; the only thing that did is the documentation for
> > gnutls.  Any suggestions how to locate this?  (Aside: gnutls is
> > indeed in the dependency chain for the package I'm working on.)
> >

> There is pkgsrc/security/opencdk. It is dependency of gnutls.
>
> You might need to do a "make clean-depends".

It was indeed gnutls needing it.  Presumably, though, something in
pkgsrc should have detected a version mismatch, rather than displaying
that rather strange error message displayed.  The dependency chain, as
I worked out after the fact, was

opencdk
gnutls
gnome-vfs2
libgtkhtml
claws-mail-gtkhtml2_viewer

where I'm working on claws-mail-gtkhtml2_viewer.  It wasn't a stale
work directory -- which I believe is what 'make clean-depends' removes
-- since I had deleted all work directories prior to doing a 'cvs
update' on pkgsrc.  Is there something I should/could put into my
package?  Should it be further upstream?