Re: xorg regression?

Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 09:44:45 -0600
> Sverre Froyen <sverre%viewmark.com@localhost> wrote:
>
>> On Saturday morning, I cvs update'ed my pkgsrc, deleted all packages
>> and rebuilt the package subset that I normally use.  Running the new
>> version of xorg, I see massive problems with keyboard input.  Both
>> key down and key up event are frequently missed (input characters are
>> missing and keys keep repeating until another key is pressed).  Also,
>> the ctl-alt-esc and ctl-alt-fn combinations are ignored.  Mouse
>> events appear normal.  I have also seen Xwindows hang a few times
>> (some of hangs can be revocered by logging in over the network and
>> killing the X server).  On further examination, it appears that the
>> problems are only present when running a KDE component such as
>> konquerer (I do not have to run the KDE desktop to see the problems).
>>

> What I'm seeing is *really* sluggish interactive behavior, and I don't
> run KDE anything.  On an idle machine -- not a slow one; it's a 3.4Ghz
> Dell with 1G of RAM -- I've seen repeated delayed character echoes in
> xterm, for example.  I don't know if my problem is the kernel or xorg;
> I'm seeing application slowness, too.  (I updated to -current as of
> Wednesday Aug 15 and cc'd current-users.)

I suspect that Xorg is using a console that's already used, like
"console" or "ttyE0" as defined in /etc/ttys. I disabled "ttyE0" and
enabled "ttyE1" instead here, and Xorg no longer crashes.

It looks like 1.3.0 is either not wscons-aware anymore. It also seems
that X no more understands the "vtXX" argument. I would be glad if
someone could confirm that, and tell what the proper fix would actually be.

Cheers and HTH,
--
khorben