Re: skype is really stale

clayton wrote:
Hi,

I am somewhat new to NetBSD and trying to build a NetBSD desktop to see
how close I can come to my Debian Linux desktop capabilities (I am
*really* impressed with how fast one of my java apps runs on NetBSD....)

Skype seems to be my first iceberg.

Let's see if we can smelt down this iceberg. :)

Current version in pkgsrc is skype_staticQT-1.2.0.18, which is giving
me some problems (crappy audio, can't access my USB headphones) that I
think the latest and greatest skype version 1.4.0.99 might do better
with.

I tried a couple of simple Makefile hacks:
* changed skype_staticQT-1.2.0.18 to skype_staticQT-1.4.0.99, which
found nothing to download.
* changed skype_staticQT-1.2.0.18 to skype-1.4.0.99, which downloaded
skype-1.4.0.99.tar.bz2 from skype, but had some fatal errors on "make
install".

It would have been helpful to see the actual error messages. Even if they are of no use for you, some others usually understand what's wrong and can help you.

I've updated it. Please try if it works now.

Roland