Subject: Re: Getting started with modular xorg
To: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@britannica.bec.de>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 08/04/2007 23:30:18
On Sun, 5 Aug 2007 05:02:01 +0200
Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@britannica.bec.de> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 04, 2007 at 10:53:10PM -0400, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> > Next question -- shouldn't xterm be installed by modular-xorg-apps?
>
> I answered that question in the past. I'm not sure. There are many
> alternatives that might be better suited. It is not a part of modular
> Xorg, but maintained by a third party. The latter is a good reason for
> me not to include it.

Hmm -- I must have missed that discussion.

That said, I think we should include *some* terminal emulator.  We're a
geeky crowd; we don't just do point-and-click stuff....

More seriously -- not having any terminal emulator (and if there is
one, I missed it several times) is, I think, a mistake.  It violates the
rule of least surprise, always a bad thing.  I'm not pushing for xterm
per se (though I personally will likely stay with it for a while, if
only because I have a moderate amount of infrastructure that uses it);
I do think the issue of *some* terminal emulator is important enough to
warrant a MESSAGE file in modular-xorg-apps, perhaps even listing
several choices.